Tuesday, November 27, 2012

History behind Jazzmine

I'm not a flower even though I sound like one. I'm more like music. I didn't come from a field with red roses & Jasmine's, more like slave ships & rail roads, white men & forced grandmothers.
I wasn't wanted. My father hated Jazz music & he didn't want kids. I think thats why he named me Jazzmine with 2 Z's instead of an S. He named me Jazzmine then he felt.
But its ok. The J in my name looks like the curves of my mothers smile. The A looks like half lived suns. My Z's look like the stripes on a zebras back & my M looks like the Earth cemented in Gods back. I is for the number of times I Had seen my father on my birthday ONE.
N is the start of the sentence my father said before I last hung up the phone "Never did I ever mean to hurt you he said"
Yeah right, so why'd you Nick name me Jazz, you HATE Jazz. Do you hate me too?
E, this life will never be anything EASY for the unwanted.
My mothers heart you owned that, my love I never showed you. I didn't even know you so i don't like you. And I guess you felt the same way. So you named me Jazzmine with 2 Z's and NOT an S.

1 comment:

  1. jazzmine this poem is dope. really gives the readers some extended thoughts. beautiful. and by the way, i heart Jazz it keeps me relaxed with its beautiful sound. and it is long lived.

    ReplyDelete