Saturday, October 12, 2013

Granny

Granny, 
I watched you for 15 years. 
Sweat on forehead. 
And Boiling pots of greens on the stove all while juggling 
6 children and 
10 Grand children 
in your bosom. 
I watched you bend your back but never break at the seams, 
you wrote the definition of Classy. However, in Tchula Mississippi 
you never attended classes. 
You were too busy dabbing your sweat with 
The fabric of our lives, 
no matter what the white 
people say. 
you dabbed your sweat 
with cotton from the fields.  
you were never a slave. 
But, the cruelty of Madea 
left you 
in scorching suns & bare foot. 
Her anger left you fear shook. 
   
 I remember the story of her almost making strange fruit out of you.
Fear in my ears listening to you, 
my heart stood on its 
tippy toes in standing ovation 
of you. 
Your the only black that escaped a noose
 already tied around their neck by one who was their same 
black. 
Blue. 
You. 
     You, taught me to 
never see color cause 
your first love was
 black as a oil slick. 
You called him Willy. 
Willy didn't care you
 had my momma at 14 
by a yella man. 

My papas name is 
Jack. 
Sunshine for short 
of making it shine in the 
mid night hour, 
you taught me color is 
never important. 
    That in love, to be color blind.
     Jack, 
as Indian as he is, 
he loved you & his baby girl like
 he loved his Salt pork collared greens & whiskey. 
        
Chicago made your country hearts as city as my sin. 
Papa called me sin city, 
cause my daddy named me 
Jazz. 

Mamma told me you 
never approved of my father but, 
you never disapproved of my existence. 
     For 11 years I was the 
only girl in those last 
18 years to have the 
Malone blood, 
my daddy in spite named me 
Brooks. 
You wanted me to have your last name so the world could have someone to remember you by but, my name doesn't have to change to have that happen. 
      When your dead and gone,
 this world will remember you from the swivel in my hips, 
the holy in my tong and 
the yellow in my skin. 
      This world will know, that 
Louise 
Is not my Grandmother but, 
my Granny 
cause you walked with a lean 
you blamed on your arthritis but, 
I refused to believe cause you 
were too cool to wear orthopedic shoes. 
   They'll know you're my Granny from touching my arms. 
All the women in our family got them "wings," are what you called them. 
        Granny, 
 I admire every ball of sweat that never 
fell to the floor cause you were too strong to let any part of you 
fall. 
You always bend but never break. You resemble a palm tree. 
Always swaying from side to side but always strong enough to with stand the strength of any storm. 
      Granny, you taught me how to dance in the rain cause I'm a woman, we always bounce 
back no matter how bad the pain,  
We always bend but 
WE
never. Ever. Break.

No comments:

Post a Comment